To get your waist-to-hip ratio
When it comes to body fat, it's not just how much fat you have. Where you have it, is also important. One measure you can use is the waist-to-hip ratio.:
* women with waist-to-hip ratios of more than 0.8 are at increased health risk because of their fat distribution
* men with waist-to-hip ratios of more than 1.0 are at increased health risk because of their fat distribution
To get your waist-to-hip ratio, measure the waist at its narrowest point, then measure the hips at their widest point. Using those measurements, you can use our calculator to determine your waist-to-hip ratio. To check the results, or if the calculator doesn't work on your computer, you can simply divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement.
Typically (though not always), excess fat in women tends to collect in the hips and buttocks, resulting in a so-called "pear" shape. In men, excess fat often tends to collect in the abdomen area, resulting in what's called an "apple" shape. Again, women with waist-to-hip ratios of more than 0.8 and men with waist-to-hip ratios of more than 1.0 are "apples," and as such are at an increased health risk because of their fat distribution.
Only a guideline
Remember, though, that this is only a general guideline. A number of other factors including family and personal medical history can influence someone's risk of developing particular diseases or problems. In addition, excess fat regardless of where it's distributed has been linked to several serious medical conditions, including diabetes, gallstones and heart disease.
Although excessive concern about losing weight can be harmful, that the more obese a person is, the more likely he or she is to have health problems, and that people who are 20 percent or more overweight can gain significant health benefits from weight loss.
In addition, the American Dietetic Association points out that excess fat in the abdominal area poses a greater health risk than excess fat in the hips and thighs and is associated with a higher risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, early onset of heart disease, and certain types of cancers.
If you do need to lose weight, talk with your doctor first to determine a reasonable timetable. For many people who don't have an excessive amount of weight to lose, a combination of diet, exercise and behavior modification can produce weight loss. In some cases of severe obesity, gastrointestinal surgery may be recommended. However, surgery is usually considered a drastic option. And even if used, lifestyle changes are still needed to produce permanent weight loss.
You may also be interested in:
Person's weight gain, and a number of factors, including the accumulation of
Virtually any form of exercise, from aerobics to weightlifting, can act as a
Special Note Should pay attention to the activity of self-protection, to avoid
Lipid-lowering diet can only use herbs to lose weight and can not use any
Acupuncture is the Chinese cultural legacy, through the study of traditional
Modern medicine more than simple obesity associated with endocrine disorders, a
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Lotus leaf tea help you lose weight
- 3 days by 5 kg, fruits detox diet meal
- Symptoms of fungal vaginitis
- Weight Loss,Natural Appetite Suppressants
- Chinese Herbs Treating Weight Loss
- natural weight loss-Herbs That Increase Metabolism for Weight Loss
- Lose Weight Stop Eating Flour
- what is Cervical tube inflammation?
- Postpartum Weight Loss Guide to Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Acupuncture for fat loss
Best of tcmwell.com
If you want a diet quick weight loss tips that work, you may at your food to
The ancient Chinese medicine has its roots in the theory that the human body
Putting on weight happens for different reasons. Whether it is because of
In fact, walking may be your best medicine for slowing the aging process, which
Acupuncture weight loss in the ancient medical works although not well
Acupuncture for weight loss is often an effective method of stimulating a
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Quick Weight Loss Tips
- Exercise can relieve stress for you
- Acupuncture Help Weight Loss
- Bananas:Health Weight-Loss Food
- Smoking and obesity are risk factors
- Weight Loss,High Protein Diet
- How to Lose Weight Naturally
- What is acupuncture to lose weight?
- How do With Walking to lose weight
- Acupuncture accelerate weight loss
- Lose Weight Stop Eating Flour
- Maternity Yoga
- Ephedra and Weight Loss
- Healthy Secrets for Losing Weight Naturally
- Can Drink Alcohol Without Getting Fat