Indoor Smoking Bans
"Athens is a college town, and we have thousands of college kids standing shoulder to shoulder outside bars and restaurants on weekend nights. In select areas outside certain establishments, we believe many of these young people are exposed to elevated levels of secondhand smoke," says researcher Luke Naeher, Ph.D., of the University of Georgia College of Public Health. "You can have 40 to 50 smokers in a small area -- which translates to fairly aggressive exposures to secondhand smoke, even if it's outside. We want to know what those exposures are, and if it's unhealthy, we want to tell policy makers who are making decisions about these regulations."
With the growing number of smoking bans in restaurants and bars driving smokers outside, researchers in Athens, Georgia, are hoping to find out whether secondhand smoke from smokers clustered outside these establishments is posing a health hazard of its own. To find out, the researchers measured the increase of pollutants from secondhand smoke.
Athens, which has more than 100 pubs and restaurants, banned smoking in bars and restaurants partially in 2004 and then fully in 2005. Smokers gather in a small common area outside many establishments.
In order to study how much secondhand smoke was being created in these areas, Dr. Naeher and his students measured carbon monoxide and small particles, known as PM2.5, which penetrate deep into the lung. Both substances are found in secondhand smoke, but they are also found in car exhaust. To determine how much of these substances came from smoke, the researchers went downtown for four weekend afternoons and evenings and measured the air in front of five locations, including two restaurants, two bars and one area with no smokers. They measured the particles and carbon monoxide every 30 seconds, and then every five minutes they counted the number of cars, smokers and nonsmokers who passed by.
They found that a rise in the pollutants was associated with an increase in the number of smokers, and not with motor vehicle traffic. "This suggests that we can measure the increase in these pollutants from secondhand smoke," Dr. Naeher says. The researchers are conducting a follow-up study in which they will collect urine and saliva samples from students to look for chemicals that are specific to cigarette smoke, which should provide more definitive data about how much secondhand smoke people congregating outside bars and restaurants are exposed to.
"There's a wide range of health effects that are tied to secondhand smoke," Dr. Naeher says. "With more inside smoking bans, more people seem to be smoking outside. Are we creating zones that are potentially unhealthy" That's what we're trying to figure out."
You may also be interested in:
Cut Down on Calories, Especially in the Evening Obesity and overweight have
What will you find in this Guide? The goal of our Online Guide to Allergies and
Eating four or more apples a week during pregnancy appeared to lower the risk
In fact, a kind of apple cider vinegar is just vinegar, while the use of
Each year, thousands of Canadians promise to quit smoking. Nicotine patches,
Too much sleep you do not want to appear evil, but in reality the average
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Etiology of leukemia
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Temporal lobe tumor
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Liver cyst is a relatively common benign liver disease
Best of tcmwell.com
Qi Gong is a term that describes a very complex and diverse tradition of
Hypnotherapy to quit smoking is a common reason for people to seek out
As seniors grow older and live longer, our bodies try to cope with the aches,
Back by popular demand, the Cape May County Library is pleased to offer "Qigong
The Mongolian and Tibetan medicine is deeply influenced by the Tibetan Buddhist
Techniques such as yoga, meditation, biofeedback and progressive relaxation,
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Ginseng - Buying Guide
- Structural description of the human body
- Ban On Sweets In School Helps To Combat Childhood Obesity
- Rich Resource of Zhuang Medicines
- Indoor Smoking Bans
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Salmonellosis outbreak
- help many to get rid of Addiction
- Ginger with Ease Nausea
- Chinese Food the Healthy Way
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Categories of Depression
- China traditional ethnic medicines
- Theory typical Chinese minorities in medicine
- Local and ethnic characteristics of medicine of ethnic Chinese
- Foreign reporters experience Chinese massage