Indoor Smoking Bans
"Athens is a college town, and we have thousands of college kids standing shoulder to shoulder outside bars and restaurants on weekend nights. In select areas outside certain establishments, we believe many of these young people are exposed to elevated levels of secondhand smoke," says researcher Luke Naeher, Ph.D., of the University of Georgia College of Public Health. "You can have 40 to 50 smokers in a small area -- which translates to fairly aggressive exposures to secondhand smoke, even if it's outside. We want to know what those exposures are, and if it's unhealthy, we want to tell policy makers who are making decisions about these regulations."
With the growing number of smoking bans in restaurants and bars driving smokers outside, researchers in Athens, Georgia, are hoping to find out whether secondhand smoke from smokers clustered outside these establishments is posing a health hazard of its own. To find out, the researchers measured the increase of pollutants from secondhand smoke.
Athens, which has more than 100 pubs and restaurants, banned smoking in bars and restaurants partially in 2004 and then fully in 2005. Smokers gather in a small common area outside many establishments.
In order to study how much secondhand smoke was being created in these areas, Dr. Naeher and his students measured carbon monoxide and small particles, known as PM2.5, which penetrate deep into the lung. Both substances are found in secondhand smoke, but they are also found in car exhaust. To determine how much of these substances came from smoke, the researchers went downtown for four weekend afternoons and evenings and measured the air in front of five locations, including two restaurants, two bars and one area with no smokers. They measured the particles and carbon monoxide every 30 seconds, and then every five minutes they counted the number of cars, smokers and nonsmokers who passed by.
They found that a rise in the pollutants was associated with an increase in the number of smokers, and not with motor vehicle traffic. "This suggests that we can measure the increase in these pollutants from secondhand smoke," Dr. Naeher says. The researchers are conducting a follow-up study in which they will collect urine and saliva samples from students to look for chemicals that are specific to cigarette smoke, which should provide more definitive data about how much secondhand smoke people congregating outside bars and restaurants are exposed to.
"There's a wide range of health effects that are tied to secondhand smoke," Dr. Naeher says. "With more inside smoking bans, more people seem to be smoking outside. Are we creating zones that are potentially unhealthy" That's what we're trying to figure out."
You may also be interested in:
Winter is the neck shoulder pain prone season, the other seasons do not feel
1, must be practical for ADHD children, don't like normal children as strict,
Divorce family children more prone to obesity. A study in Norway showed that
Many menopausal women suffering from insomnia , however , a new study has found
Like nails and is closely linked to human health , the hair can react to our
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Etiology of leukemia
- Temporal lobe tumor
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Acupuncture Treatment of Alopecia Areata
Best of tcmwell.com
The ancient city of Lijiang, listed by the UNESCO in 1997 as a world cultural
Cold refers to inflammation of the upper respiratory tract caused by a viral
Acupuncture has proven itself useful even in a study conducted in Sydney,
Traditional drugs associated with the Uygur, Hui and people of Kazakhstan are
Each year, approximately 110,000 children under the age of five die from
People taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work, can expect to live
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- How to Lose Weight While You Sleep!
- How To Practise Health Fitness Exercise:Qigong
- The Best Foods To Be Taken During Menopause
- 5 steps to maintain your health
- Treat For Your Hiccups
- Beware of bad sleeping position induction of esophageal carcinoma
- Applegate Says She Is 100 Percent Cancer Free
- Insomnia cure at the push of a button
- Lijiang: Dreaming garden away from modern cities
- Salmonellosis outbreak
- Ignoring common cold can lead to chronic sinusitis
- Apples May Keep Asthma Away
- Remedies For Treating Allergies
- Yoga can reduce menopausal women insomnia
- Chinese Food the Healthy Way