Indoor Smoking Bans
"Athens is a college town, and we have thousands of college kids standing shoulder to shoulder outside bars and restaurants on weekend nights. In select areas outside certain establishments, we believe many of these young people are exposed to elevated levels of secondhand smoke," says researcher Luke Naeher, Ph.D., of the University of Georgia College of Public Health. "You can have 40 to 50 smokers in a small area -- which translates to fairly aggressive exposures to secondhand smoke, even if it's outside. We want to know what those exposures are, and if it's unhealthy, we want to tell policy makers who are making decisions about these regulations."
With the growing number of smoking bans in restaurants and bars driving smokers outside, researchers in Athens, Georgia, are hoping to find out whether secondhand smoke from smokers clustered outside these establishments is posing a health hazard of its own. To find out, the researchers measured the increase of pollutants from secondhand smoke.
Athens, which has more than 100 pubs and restaurants, banned smoking in bars and restaurants partially in 2004 and then fully in 2005. Smokers gather in a small common area outside many establishments.
In order to study how much secondhand smoke was being created in these areas, Dr. Naeher and his students measured carbon monoxide and small particles, known as PM2.5, which penetrate deep into the lung. Both substances are found in secondhand smoke, but they are also found in car exhaust. To determine how much of these substances came from smoke, the researchers went downtown for four weekend afternoons and evenings and measured the air in front of five locations, including two restaurants, two bars and one area with no smokers. They measured the particles and carbon monoxide every 30 seconds, and then every five minutes they counted the number of cars, smokers and nonsmokers who passed by.
They found that a rise in the pollutants was associated with an increase in the number of smokers, and not with motor vehicle traffic. "This suggests that we can measure the increase in these pollutants from secondhand smoke," Dr. Naeher says. The researchers are conducting a follow-up study in which they will collect urine and saliva samples from students to look for chemicals that are specific to cigarette smoke, which should provide more definitive data about how much secondhand smoke people congregating outside bars and restaurants are exposed to.
"There's a wide range of health effects that are tied to secondhand smoke," Dr. Naeher says. "With more inside smoking bans, more people seem to be smoking outside. Are we creating zones that are potentially unhealthy" That's what we're trying to figure out."
You may also be interested in:
Many menopausal women suffering from insomnia , however , a new study has found
Like nails and is closely linked to human health , the hair can react to our
In the beautiful behind high heels , you may face the following major injury :
Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). Like with leukemia, which is a hematological
Core Tip: Embrace is a way people express emotion , it can not only soothe
Cut Down on Calories, Especially in the Evening Obesity and overweight have
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Etiology of leukemia
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- Temporal lobe tumor
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Liver cyst is a relatively common benign liver disease
Best of tcmwell.com
Recipe1: Walnut 120 gm and an adequate amount of Sesame oil. Administration:
"We are from a situation where coffee had a very negative image of health," Dr.
Ultimately, is not. There was great enthusiasm on the possible role of folic
Young women who were exposed to several traumatic events in life are more at
A foreign journalist experiences traditional Chinese medical massage provided
The concept of glycemic load is based on the fact that carbohydrates have
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Fruit Juice,Friend or Foe
- Can You Handle Your Back Pain After Knee Surgery
- Five storing & six excreting vicera
- The Best Foods To Be Taken During Menopause
- Nutrition for Your Skin
- Ethnic Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western medicine
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- How to Lose Weight While You Sleep!
- Natural Home Remedies for Common cold
- Grape juice good for the heart
- Chinese Food the Healthy Way
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for Insomnia
- Hair Loss Description
- Rich Resource of Zhuang Medicines
- CCTV to launch a "hand-like disease where a" physician or lipeigang is God?