Drinking Heavy Amounts Of Alcohol
Drinking heavy amounts of alcohol over a long period of time in May decreased brain volume, according to research that was presented at the American Academy of Neurology 59th Annual Meeting in Boston, 28 April - 5 May 2007. The study found that more people drink alcohol on a regular basis, the lowest volume of their brains.
"Research has shown a beneficial effect of alcohol in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular disease in people who consume low to moderate amounts of alcohol. However, this study found that more of alcohol consumption is negatively correlated with brain volume, "said study author Carol Ann Paul, MS, of Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA.
This cross-sectional study of a people who had more than 14 drinks per week had an average of 1.6 per cent reduction in the ratio of brain volume to skull size compared to people who did not drink. In other words, the brain volume decreased 25 percent on average for every increase in drinking category (ie non-drinkers, former drinkers, low drinkers, moderate drinkers or high drinkers ).
In addition, Paul reported the inverse relationship between alcohol and brain volume was slightly higher among women than among men. Also, drinking heavy amounts of alcohol appears to have the greatest negative impact on brain volume of women 70 years.
Looking at the longitudinal effects of alcohol, those who were 12 years of history of alcohol had less brain volume than those that have changed in the high drinking group during these 12 years. Researchers on these results to ensure that these differences hold up.
You may also be interested in:
- Smartphones change brain structure
- green tea may protect brain cells against Parkinson's disease
- What happens when the brain is injured
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by some sort of external force that damages the brain
- syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness due to a sudden decline in blood flow to the brain
Winter is the neck shoulder pain prone season, the other seasons do not feel
1, must be practical for ADHD children, don't like normal children as strict,
Divorce family children more prone to obesity. A study in Norway showed that
Many menopausal women suffering from insomnia , however , a new study has found
Like nails and is closely linked to human health , the hair can react to our
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Etiology of leukemia
- Temporal lobe tumor
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Acupuncture Treatment of Alopecia Areata
Best of tcmwell.com
Adequate food protein is the material basis of hair are advised to eat more
The main mode of control of diabetes is usually food, exercise and replacement
The Zang-fu organs to refer to both bodies and the Zang Fu organs. Delicacy
"We are from a situation where coffee had a very negative image of health," Dr.
According to the report, two thirds of older people with depression have never
There are approximately 10 super foods that can play a major part in reducing
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Local and Ethnic Features of Chinese Ethnic Minority Medicine
- The Health Benefits
- Salmonellosis outbreak
- Chinese medicine beauty you caring hormone
- How to Reduce and Totally Stop Your Hair Loss
- Conditions That Can Contribute to Fatigue
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for Insomnia
- A healthy lifestyle will help you reap rich dividends in the long run
- Ethnic Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western medicine
- Daily home care of ADHD
- Uygur Medicine Influence of Arab Culture
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Categories of Depression
- How to treat toothache natural Treatments
- Smokers Have Higher Risks for Bowel Diseases
- Rising Drug Costs Decrease Rates of Treatment