Drinking Heavy Amounts Of Alcohol
Drinking heavy amounts of alcohol over a long period of time in May decreased brain volume, according to research that was presented at the American Academy of Neurology 59th Annual Meeting in Boston, 28 April - 5 May 2007. The study found that more people drink alcohol on a regular basis, the lowest volume of their brains.
"Research has shown a beneficial effect of alcohol in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular disease in people who consume low to moderate amounts of alcohol. However, this study found that more of alcohol consumption is negatively correlated with brain volume, "said study author Carol Ann Paul, MS, of Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA.
This cross-sectional study of a people who had more than 14 drinks per week had an average of 1.6 per cent reduction in the ratio of brain volume to skull size compared to people who did not drink. In other words, the brain volume decreased 25 percent on average for every increase in drinking category (ie non-drinkers, former drinkers, low drinkers, moderate drinkers or high drinkers ).
In addition, Paul reported the inverse relationship between alcohol and brain volume was slightly higher among women than among men. Also, drinking heavy amounts of alcohol appears to have the greatest negative impact on brain volume of women 70 years.
Looking at the longitudinal effects of alcohol, those who were 12 years of history of alcohol had less brain volume than those that have changed in the high drinking group during these 12 years. Researchers on these results to ensure that these differences hold up.
You may also be interested in:
- Smartphones change brain structure
- green tea may protect brain cells against Parkinson's disease
- What happens when the brain is injured
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by some sort of external force that damages the brain
- syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness due to a sudden decline in blood flow to the brain
Winter is the neck shoulder pain prone season, the other seasons do not feel
1, must be practical for ADHD children, don't like normal children as strict,
Divorce family children more prone to obesity. A study in Norway showed that
Many menopausal women suffering from insomnia , however , a new study has found
Like nails and is closely linked to human health , the hair can react to our
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Temporal lobe tumor
- Etiology of leukemia
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Acupuncture Treatment of Alopecia Areata
Best of tcmwell.com
Traditional Chinese Medicine has used mushrooms for thousands of years. There
A foreign journalist experiences traditional Chinese medical massage provided
Description The hair loss Hair loss is a medical term describing the partial or
The more an adolescent perceived that successful and elite people smoke
Grape juice can have a similar effect (against heart disease) as red wine but
TCM is not a single health care system, but a general term covering many
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Three Mistakes of Eating Habits
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Categories of Depression
- Sept Qigong Practices for Hypertension
- How To Practise Health Fitness Exercise:Qigong
- Saint in Chinese Medicine Zhang Zhongjing
- Parents divorce may lead to child obesity research
- People Taking Stairs Expected to Live Longer
- Schools And Characteristics Of Taiji Quan
- Ginger with Ease Nausea
- Acupuncture Proven Effective At Treating Post-Operative
- Traditional Chinese Medicine and mushrooms
- Structural description of the human body
- Especially Among Girls，Significant Rise In Childhood Obesity
- Salmonellosis outbreak
- Chinese Taiji