Drinking Heavy Amounts Of Alcohol
Drinking heavy amounts of alcohol over a long period of time in May decreased brain volume, according to research that was presented at the American Academy of Neurology 59th Annual Meeting in Boston, 28 April - 5 May 2007. The study found that more people drink alcohol on a regular basis, the lowest volume of their brains.
"Research has shown a beneficial effect of alcohol in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular disease in people who consume low to moderate amounts of alcohol. However, this study found that more of alcohol consumption is negatively correlated with brain volume, "said study author Carol Ann Paul, MS, of Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA.
This cross-sectional study of a people who had more than 14 drinks per week had an average of 1.6 per cent reduction in the ratio of brain volume to skull size compared to people who did not drink. In other words, the brain volume decreased 25 percent on average for every increase in drinking category (ie non-drinkers, former drinkers, low drinkers, moderate drinkers or high drinkers ).
In addition, Paul reported the inverse relationship between alcohol and brain volume was slightly higher among women than among men. Also, drinking heavy amounts of alcohol appears to have the greatest negative impact on brain volume of women 70 years.
Looking at the longitudinal effects of alcohol, those who were 12 years of history of alcohol had less brain volume than those that have changed in the high drinking group during these 12 years. Researchers on these results to ensure that these differences hold up.
You may also be interested in:
- green tea may protect brain cells against Parkinson's disease
- What happens when the brain is injured
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by some sort of external force that damages the brain
- syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness due to a sudden decline in blood flow to the brain
- Aphasia is a neurological disorder resulting from damage to parts of the brain that control language
Cut Down on Calories, Especially in the Evening Obesity and overweight have
What will you find in this Guide? The goal of our Online Guide to Allergies and
Eating four or more apples a week during pregnancy appeared to lower the risk
In fact, a kind of apple cider vinegar is just vinegar, while the use of
Each year, thousands of Canadians promise to quit smoking. Nicotine patches,
Too much sleep you do not want to appear evil, but in reality the average
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Etiology of leukemia
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Temporal lobe tumor
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Liver cyst is a relatively common benign liver disease
Best of tcmwell.com
"We are from a situation where coffee had a very negative image of health," Dr.
Many doctors suggest C-sections for mothers with breech babies to ensure the
Chinese Taiji Sword introduces 32 forms of taiji sword. And Xue Anri, renown
Do not ignore the common cold, it could turn into chronic sinusitis and
Wearing elastic stockings: wearing elastic stockings is the best choice of
This seems unusual, but Dr. Son and colleagues report on the effectiveness of
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Too Much, Too Little Sleep Lead To Stroke Risk
- Ignoring common cold can lead to chronic sinusitis
- Chinese Taiji
- How to Treat Anemia
- Hair needs nutrition
- Treating Hiccups
- Traditional Herbal Treatments For Food Allergies & Asthma
- Chinese Herbs for the mind: Action for depression, anxiety, insomnia
- Mineral Materia Medica current state of research
- Alan giant fat diet promotion of Chinese medicine
- Chinese Food the Healthy Way
- Hypertension, a Silent Killer
- BASIC PRINCIPLES
- Theory typical Chinese minorities in medicine
- Guide to Combating Allergies