Herpes of the eye, or ocular herpes, is a viral
Monday, Jun 14,2010, 5:56:59 PM Click:
Eyesight depends on a complex series of interactions between the different parts of the eye. ocular herpes can produce a painful sore on the eyelid or surface of the eye and cause inflammation of the cornea. Prompt treatment with anti-viral drugs helps to stop the herpes virus from multiplying and destroying epithelial cells. However, the infection may spread deeper into the cornea and develop into a more severe infection called stromal keratitis, which causes the body's immune system to attack and destroy stromal cells. Stromal keratitis is more difficult to treat than less severe ocular herpes infections. Recurrent episodes of stromal keratitis can cause scarring of the cornea, which can lead to loss of vision and possibly blindness.
Herpes of the eye, or ocular herpes, is a viral infection that is caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus and is the most common infectious cause of corneal blindness in the U.S. The herpes simplex 1 virus is the same one generally associated with cold sores.
An estimated 400,000 Americans have had some form of ocular herpes. Each year, nearly 50,000 new and recurring cases are diagnosed in the United States. In one large study, researchers found that the recurrence rate of ocular herpes was 10 percent within one year, 23 percent within two years and 63 percent within 20 years. Some factors believed to be associated with recurrence include:
* eye injury
Like other herpetic infections, herpes of the eye can be controlled. Treatment depends on the location and the severity of involvement. Antiviral eye drops may be used. Steroids might also be needed to help decrease inflammation and corneal scarring.
You may also be interested in:
Common myopia myopia, also known simply refers to 600 degrees below the low to
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- What is an acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis
- Clinical manifestations of malignant lymphoma
- Dacryocystitis and lacrimal gland inflammation What is the difference?
- The clinical manifestations of optic nerve atrophy
- Red-eye syndrome symptoms and treatment methods
- Eyelid tumor
- Viral keratitis
- The cause of lacrimal sac tumor
- Blepharospasm is an abnormal, involuntary blinking or spasm of the eyelids
- Ophthalmology-The Relationship between the Eyes and the Viscera
Best of tcmwell.com
Of the three chapters of Part One, the first chapter outlines various
Most cases of eye arthritis have a lot to do with poor diet. Studies also show
Eyestrain is a common ocular disease and prolonged eyestrain would probably
Differentiate the symptoms and signs Differentiating vision Poor vision,
Differentiating External and Internal Oculopathy External oculopathy, a
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?