MAIN POINTS FOR DIAGNOSIS
The head is deviated to the affected side and bends forward, while the face turns to the healthy side.Or even the asymmetric sides of the face develops, that is, the healthy side is relatively large while the affected side small.
After the affected baby is born, a fusiform mass on one side of his or her neck can be observed, (some may disappear voluntarily in half a year), later gradual contracture of the muscles on the affected side takes place, and finally protrudes like a cord.
If treatment is not given to the problem for a long time, the cervical vertebrae may protrude to the healthy side, and compensatory lateral curvature of the thoracic vertebrae and ambiopia may even develop.
Myogenic torticollis is a disease marked with the headdeviated to one side. It is often seen in infants. In modernmedicine, myogenic torticollis is mainly because of malpo-sition of the fetus in the uterus, which causes pressure a-gainst the sternocleidomastoid muscle on one side and ob-struction of blood circulation leading to ischemic fibrosis ofthe muscle. And it may also be due to malposition of the fetus during delivery, which causes the sternocleidomas-toid muscle to be pressed by the birth canal or by obstetric forceps so as to be injured and bleed with formation of he-matoma. It further develops into contracture due to or-ganization of the hematoma, which results in the occur-mechanism of the deviated head lies in disorders of qi andblood, obstruction of the meridians, and stagnation of qi as well blood stasis.
The principle of tuina therapy: relaxing muscles andtendons, promoting circulation of blood, softening and re-solving hard mass.
Gently lift and grasp the sternocleidomastoid muscle on the affected side for 1 - 3 minutes, then wipe and pluck the tendons on the affected side along their di-rections with the thumb and the index finger 10 - 15times.
Have the infant lie on his back at the edge of thebed, and his head direct at the doctor, and the doctor sits at a chair in front of the bed. Hold the neck of the patientwith one hand, and press-knead the affected side of his neck with the thumb, or the index, the middle and thering fingers for 5 - 10 minutes, combined with finger-twisting to disperse the swelling lump gently. Apply more manipulations to the beginning and the ending parts of the sternocleidomastoid muscle on the affected side.
Pull or rotate the patient's head toward the healthy side repeatedly several times. The manipulation should be performed first lightly, then gradually heavily with an increasing amplitude; sudden, violent exertion of force beyond the physiological limitation should be avoided.
Finally perform pressing-kneading manipulation to relax the affected area for 3 - 5 minutes.
MODIFIED MANIPULATIONS WITH SYNDROME DIFFERENTIATION
If the patient has been troubled by myogenic torticollis for quite a long time, the two sides of the face have been different in size, and the affected side of the neck has been hard, the following manipulations may be added to the basic ones.
Digitally-knead Taiyang (EX-HN 5 ), Yintang (EX-HN 3) and Dicang (ST 4) on the affected side of the face for one minute respectively.
Digitally-press Hegu (LI 4) and Waiguan (TE 5) for one minute respectively.
Pluck Yinlingquan (SP 9) and Juegu (GB 39) 10 times respectively. The treatment of myogenic torticollis is usually given once a day, 10 - 15 minutes each time. One treatment course takes a month, and the number of courses is in direct proportion to the hardness of the muscles on the affected side. The manipulation should couple hardness with gentleness, and violent operation mustn't be done. What's more, the media talcum is used to protect children's skin.While the infant is in sleep, intentionally have his head turn to the healthy side to correct the malformation
You may also be interested in:
Diabetics prone to lethargy , mainly because of diabetic patients with
1 , upper abdominal pain : This is the most common symptoms of stomach cancer.
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
For the study, the researchers surveyed 7,900 students age 12 to 14 at five
Combining two different types of treatment for migraine results in better
Increases with age, the gradual physical decline, the gradual lowering of the
People who suffer from depression try and find ways to combat the feelings of
Item Location This point is located between the first and second metacarpal
1. Some Chinese medicine containing toxic ingredients, such as Aconite
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Teens With Migraine At Greater Risk Of Suicide
- Sleep Apnea May Increase Risk Of Diabetes
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Patients with rheumatoid arthritis diet should pay attention to what?
- Anorexia, namely aversion to food
- How Chinese Medicine Diagnoses Depression
- BACK PAIN Acupuncture treatment
- Youth and health is that each of us wants to have
- Cures for Depression
- Asbestos lung cancer is a group
- 16 kinds of Chinese medicine causes adverse reactions
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Jianjing
- The Chinese herbs to regulate blood work
- Some Benefits of Chinese Green Tea