Tuesday, Jun 09,2009, 12:08:47 PM Click:
MAIN POINTS FOR DIAGNOSIS
The head is deviated to the affected side and bends forward, while the face turns to the healthy side.Or even the asymmetric sides of the face develops, that is, the healthy side is relatively large while the affected side small.
After the affected baby is born, a fusiform mass on one side of his or her neck can be observed, (some may disappear voluntarily in half a year), later gradual contracture of the muscles on the affected side takes place, and finally protrudes like a cord.
If treatment is not given to the problem for a long time, the cervical vertebrae may protrude to the healthy side, and compensatory lateral curvature of the thoracic vertebrae and ambiopia may even develop.
Myogenic torticollis is a disease marked with the headdeviated to one side. It is often seen in infants. In modernmedicine, myogenic torticollis is mainly because of malpo-sition of the fetus in the uterus, which causes pressure a-gainst the sternocleidomastoid muscle on one side and ob-struction of blood circulation leading to ischemic fibrosis ofthe muscle. And it may also be due to malposition of the fetus during delivery, which causes the sternocleidomas-toid muscle to be pressed by the birth canal or by obstetric forceps so as to be injured and bleed with formation of he-matoma. It further develops into contracture due to or-ganization of the hematoma, which results in the occur-mechanism of the deviated head lies in disorders of qi andblood, obstruction of the meridians, and stagnation of qi as well blood stasis.
The principle of tuina therapy: relaxing muscles andtendons, promoting circulation of blood, softening and re-solving hard mass.
Gently lift and grasp the sternocleidomastoid muscle on the affected side for 1 - 3 minutes, then wipe and pluck the tendons on the affected side along their di-rections with the thumb and the index finger 10 - 15times.
Have the infant lie on his back at the edge of thebed, and his head direct at the doctor, and the doctor sits at a chair in front of the bed. Hold the neck of the patientwith one hand, and press-knead the affected side of his neck with the thumb, or the index, the middle and thering fingers for 5 - 10 minutes, combined with finger-twisting to disperse the swelling lump gently. Apply more manipulations to the beginning and the ending parts of the sternocleidomastoid muscle on the affected side.
Pull or rotate the patient's head toward the healthy side repeatedly several times. The manipulation should be performed first lightly, then gradually heavily with an increasing amplitude; sudden, violent exertion of force beyond the physiological limitation should be avoided.
Finally perform pressing-kneading manipulation to relax the affected area for 3 - 5 minutes.
MODIFIED MANIPULATIONS WITH SYNDROME DIFFERENTIATION
If the patient has been troubled by myogenic torticollis for quite a long time, the two sides of the face have been different in size, and the affected side of the neck has been hard, the following manipulations may be added to the basic ones.
Digitally-knead Taiyang (EX-HN 5 ), Yintang (EX-HN 3) and Dicang (ST 4) on the affected side of the face for one minute respectively.
Digitally-press Hegu (LI 4) and Waiguan (TE 5) for one minute respectively.
Pluck Yinlingquan (SP 9) and Juegu (GB 39) 10 times respectively. The treatment of myogenic torticollis is usually given once a day, 10 - 15 minutes each time. One treatment course takes a month, and the number of courses is in direct proportion to the hardness of the muscles on the affected side. The manipulation should couple hardness with gentleness, and violent operation mustn't be done. What's more, the media talcum is used to protect children's skin.While the infant is in sleep, intentionally have his head turn to the healthy side to correct the malformation
You may also be interested in:
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
Berberine, a bitter-tasting yellow chemical found in some roots and barks, has
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, consumptive and recurrent autoimmune
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
Middle-aged men and women with a history of migraine and other headaches are
People are afraid of cancer, a "cancer on the mere mention of" is, in fact,
Dear women, if you sleep on a problem, for example, take a long time still
Treatment of insomnia behavioral therapy for most people in daily life from
The first is the emergence of different reactions of ordinary people, such as
Japanese scientists recently found that regular activity can be stomachic toes
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Common Cold Due To Wind And Heat
- Headaches and migraines Treatment
- Infantile Malnutrition
- activities of the toes to help digestion
- Hand, foot and mouth disease treatment guidelines
- Chinese red yeast rice promotes bone formation
- Combining TCM with Antipsychotics Beneficial for Schizophrenia
- Asthma and Chinese Medicine
- How Chinese Medicine Diagnoses Depression
- Acupuncture Reduces Pain In head And Neck Cancer Patients
- Insomnia Overview
- Sleep Apnea May Increase Risk Of Diabetes
- Chinese medicine How governance "allergic"
- Reminder: after the disease had cervical how to do
- History Of Migraines Associated With Increased Risk Of Retinopathy