Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss
Monday, Mar 30,2009, 2:47:22 PM Click:
Vestibular symptoms are present in 28 to 57% of patients. The likelihood of recovery of hearing has been reported to vary with the severity of hearing loss at presentation: patients with mild losses usually achieve full recovery, those with moderate losses often show some spontaneous recovery but seldom have a full recovery unless treated, and those with severe-to-profound hearing losses rarely show spontaneous improvement or make a full recovery.1,4,12 The prognosis for recovery of hearing also seems to be worse in older patients and those with associated vestibular symptoms.1,3,4,5 Approximately 1% of cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss are due to "retrocochlear" disorders that may be related to vestibular schwannoma, demyelinating disease, or stroke.3 Another 10 to 15% are due to another identifiable cause, such as Meniere's disease, trauma, autoimmune disease, syphilis, Lyme disease, or perilymphatic fistula.4,5,13,14 The remainder are idiopathic and almost exclusively unilateral. Rare cases of bilateral sudden deafness most often reflect a psychiatric ("functional") cause or a neurologic process (e.g., neoplastic dural infiltration of the posterior cranial fossa, paraneoplastic syndrome, or encephalitis); transient bilateral sudden sensorineural hearing loss may also result from a sudden drop in intracranial pressure during a spinal tap or after intracranial surgery. A common problem in sudden sensorineural hearing loss is delay in diagnosis. Ear fullness, a common presenting symptom, is often attributed by patients and clinicians to impaction of cerumen or congestion from upper respiratory illness or allergies.
Insofar as evidence suggests that permanent hearing loss is more likely when treatment is delayed, it is important that a diagnosis of sudden sensorineural hearing loss be considered and prompt referral made to physicians with expertise in otolaryngology.
You may also be interested in:
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
Berberine, a bitter-tasting yellow chemical found in some roots and barks, has
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, consumptive and recurrent autoimmune
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
Dear women, if you sleep on a problem, for example, take a long time still
Combining two different types of treatment for migraine results in better
General Considerations Low back pain is the cause of much time lost from work
Excessive burping, belching, acid reflux, abdominal bloating and embarrassing
For topical treatment, a powder made by grinding residue of spirit, realgar,
The study was led by David Pfister, MD, Chief of the Head and Neck Medical
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Hand, foot and mouth disease treatment guidelines
- Syndrome Differentiation And treatment For Arrhythmia
- Acupuncture Reduces Pain In head And Neck Cancer Patients
- Cervical Spondylopathy
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Kunlun
- How Chinese Medicine Diagnoses Depression
- Some Benefits of Chinese Green Tea
- Let woman gets sleeping sweeter the more ten tips
- Cures for Depression
- activities of the toes to help digestion
- Common Cold Due To Wind And Heat
- Diarrhea of infants and young children against
- Chinese Medicine Treatment Constipation Very Nice
- Anorexia, namely aversion to food
- New Study Says Women's Health Much More At Risk From Sleep Deprivation