Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss
Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss (i.e., unexplained unilateral sensorineural hearing loss with onset over a period of less than 72 hours) has an estimated incidence between 5 and 20 per 100,000 persons per year.1 This is likely to be an underestimate, since many who recover quickly never seek medical attention.2 Several large case series, including a total of approximately 7500 cases in the United States, Europe, and Japan,1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 indicate that sudden sensorineural hearing loss typically occurs between 43 years and 53 years of age, with equal sex distribution.
Vestibular symptoms are present in 28 to 57% of patients. The likelihood of recovery of hearing has been reported to vary with the severity of hearing loss at presentation: patients with mild losses usually achieve full recovery, those with moderate losses often show some spontaneous recovery but seldom have a full recovery unless treated, and those with severe-to-profound hearing losses rarely show spontaneous improvement or make a full recovery.1,4,12 The prognosis for recovery of hearing also seems to be worse in older patients and those with associated vestibular symptoms.1,3,4,5 Approximately 1% of cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss are due to "retrocochlear" disorders that may be related to vestibular schwannoma, demyelinating disease, or stroke.3 Another 10 to 15% are due to another identifiable cause, such as Meniere's disease, trauma, autoimmune disease, syphilis, Lyme disease, or perilymphatic fistula.4,5,13,14 The remainder are idiopathic and almost exclusively unilateral. Rare cases of bilateral sudden deafness most often reflect a psychiatric ("functional") cause or a neurologic process (e.g., neoplastic dural infiltration of the posterior cranial fossa, paraneoplastic syndrome, or encephalitis); transient bilateral sudden sensorineural hearing loss may also result from a sudden drop in intracranial pressure during a spinal tap or after intracranial surgery. A common problem in sudden sensorineural hearing loss is delay in diagnosis. Ear fullness, a common presenting symptom, is often attributed by patients and clinicians to impaction of cerumen or congestion from upper respiratory illness or allergies.
Insofar as evidence suggests that permanent hearing loss is more likely when treatment is delayed, it is important that a diagnosis of sudden sensorineural hearing loss be considered and prompt referral made to physicians with expertise in otolaryngology.
You may also be interested in:
Diabetics prone to lethargy , mainly because of diabetic patients with
1 , upper abdominal pain : This is the most common symptoms of stomach cancer.
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
Therapies such as acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can be crucial tools
The study was led by David Pfister, MD, Chief of the Head and Neck Medical
People are afraid of cancer, a "cancer on the mere mention of" is, in fact,
(1) control diet. Diet from time to time, quantitative, food, soft, hard, cold,
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory disease of the colon of unknown causes
General Considerations Low back pain is the cause of much time lost from work
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Medlar magical effect reducing weight
- Acupuncture Reduces Pain In head And Neck Cancer Patients
- Cures for Depression
- Let woman gets sleeping sweeter the more ten tips
- Syndrome Differentiation Common Disease:The Nasosinusitis
- Diet and Exercise May Not Be Enough to Lose Weight
- Infantile Malnutrition
- Asbestos lung cancer is a group
- Digestive Problems: TCM Tells You
- Asthma and Chinese Medicine
- Chinese medicine fights diabetes, obesity
- Headaches and migraines Treatment
- Scalded skin smear toothpaste is not science
- Combining TCM with Antipsychotics Beneficial for Schizophrenia
- Combination Treatment For Migraine More Effective Than Single Medications