Combination Treatment For Migraine More Effective Than Single Medications
"Migraine is a prevalent, often debilitating disease manifested by attacks of bilateral or unilateral headache and associated symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound," according to background information in the article. While advances have been made in treatment, results are still often unsatisfactory for many patients. None of the currently available medications taken alone provide broad coverage of the multiple pathogenic processes in migraine, which is thought to involve multiple neural pathways. A multimechanism-targeted therapy may confer advantages over a single therapy.
Combining two different types of treatment for migraine results in better symptom relief than taking either one of the medications, according to a study in the April 4 issue of JAMA.
Jan Lewis Brandes, M.D., of the Nashville Neuroscience Group, Nashville, Tenn., and colleagues evaluated the effectiveness and safety of treating migraine by combining the migraine medications sumatriptan (in the class of drugs known as triptans) and naproxen sodium (a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug; NSAID) compared with placebo and single therapy with either of the drugs. The research consisted of two identical, randomized, double-blind studies conducted among 1,461 (study 1) and 1,495 (study 2) patients at 118 U.S. clinical centers who were diagnosed as having migraine and received study treatment for a moderate or severe migraine attack. Patients were randomized to receive a single tablet containing both sumatriptan, 85 mg, and naproxen sodium, 500 mg; sumatriptan, 85 mg (monotherapy); naproxen sodium, 500 mg (monotherapy); or placebo, to be used after onset of a migraine with moderate to severe pain.
The researchers found that sumatriptan-naproxen sodium was more effective than placebo for headache relief at two hours after dosing (study 1, 65 percent vs. 28 percent; and study 2, 57 percent vs. 29 percent;), absence of photophobia (sensitivity to light) at two hours (58 percent vs. 26 percent; and 50 percent vs. 32 percent;), and absence of phonophobia (sensitivity to sound) at two hours (61 percent vs. 38 percent; and 56 percent vs. 34 percent). The absence of nausea two hours after dosing was higher with sumatriptan-naproxen sodium than placebo in study 1, but in study 2 rates of absence of nausea did not differ between sumatriptan-naproxen sodium and placebo. For 2- to 24-hour sustained pain-free response, sumatriptan-naproxen sodium was superior to sumatriptan monotherapy, naproxen sodium monotherapy and placebo. The incidence of adverse events was similar between sumatriptan-naproxen sodium and sumatriptan monotherapy.
You may also be interested in:
Diabetics prone to lethargy , mainly because of diabetic patients with
1 , upper abdominal pain : This is the most common symptoms of stomach cancer.
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
Chinese herbal medicine has been used to treat millions of people with
(1) psychological factors: living and working in a variety of untoward
Main symptoms and signs Serious fever, slight aversion to wind and cold, stuffy
Infants with vomiting must be controlled on diet, and for those with frequent
(1) control diet. Diet from time to time, quantitative, food, soft, hard, cold,
Acupressure Technique When the person with their hands on the place of women,
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Anorexia, namely aversion to food
- Patients with rheumatoid arthritis diet should pay attention to what?
- Some Benefits of Chinese Green Tea
- Let woman gets sleeping sweeter the more ten tips
- activities of the toes to help digestion
- New Study Says Women's Health Much More At Risk From Sleep Deprivation
- BACK PAIN Acupuncture treatment
- Herbal Therapies Can Help Boost Fertility
- Breast abnormalities
- Polyethylene Glycol to Chronic Constipation
- Neck Pain Acupuncture
- treatment for insomnia
- Infantile Malnutrition
- Traditional Chinese medicine treatment methods
- Acupuncture Reduces Pain In head And Neck Cancer Patients